What's new

Factory tires are crap

RevEngineer132 163

Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2026
Messages
54
Reaction score
57
Location
Central PA
I have a little over 7000 miles on the car and the wet traction is already starting to go away. 255/45/20 Nexen tires. They are also starting to pull the car around in the slight ruts that form on asphalt surfaces, and on grooved surfaces the car is all over the place. I shouldn’t be surprised, the Pirellis’ that came on my Challenger were shot by 10k miles. It was so bad by 12k miles that a damp road was like driving on ice. Seems like they put on the worst tires they can find at the factory, probably low rolling resistance tires to get the mpg ratings up.
 
Nexen? I was under the impression all the 26 Chargers came with Goodyear. I guess they cut some corners on the R/T. Factory tires are just about always designed to be softer and wear sooner so the car feels more comfortable when test driving but 7000 miles is pretty bad to be noticing wear. Even factory tires should still be pushing 30k miles I would hope.

Be honest, have you been doing too many donuts? lol
I used Pirelli's on my '15 Charger and they definitely do wear out quite early-- but those are performance tires so you should know going in that they aren't going to last. Not great if it's the factory ones. I did manage to get ~25K out of the Pirelli's though. I rotated them quite frequently, maybe that helped.
 
Nexen? I was under the impression all the 26 Chargers came with Goodyear. I guess they cut some corners on the R/T. Factory tires are just about always designed to be softer and wear sooner so the car feels more comfortable when test driving but 7000 miles is pretty bad to be noticing wear. Even factory tires should still be pushing 30k miles I would hope.

Be honest, have you been doing too many donuts? lol
I used Pirelli's on my '15 Charger and they definitely do wear out quite early-- but those are performance tires so you should know going in that they aren't going to last. Not great if it's the factory ones. I did manage to get ~25K out of the Pirelli's though. I rotated them quite frequently, maybe that helped.
No donuts! Not a lot of visible wear but I can definitely feel it. I’m a nut about tire rotations and running correct pressure. I drive my work car 30k-40k miles per year and you have to keep up on rotations if you want to get decent tread life and no strange wear patterns and tire noise. The Pirellis that came on my Challenger were so bad by 15k miles that car was un-drivable on a wet road, still had decent tread, just the rubber compound couldn’t grip wet pavement. I think these Nexens are doing the same thing.
 
Mine came with factory Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S 106Y XL which is a good tire. My past preference with my Challengers has always been Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 106Y XL. A little more expensive but seem to wear better in southern climates.
 
📢 Support the above vendors that support this site!
To become a Supporting Vendor: ✉️ Message Dragoon

Trending Topics

Back
Top Bottom